Friday, September 23, 2011

Did I break my Car????????

I need some help !!!!!!! I bought an 89 Buick Century in January, It was just supposed to be a car that I could use to go to work and take my kids to do what they need to do....I replaced the alternator and the battery last month, and besides changing a radiator hose-we have kept the fluids checked, and it has been a pretty good car. Three days ago, I had some errands to run on payday and when I got in the car, it was fine. After a couple stops, I was actually at work picking up my check and my car would turn over but wouldnt start. I calle dmy boyfriend and he came up there and told me that i was out of gas-My gas gage said I was in between a quarter tank and empty but when I tried to tell him that he said, over and over again that I was out of gas. I went to the station, got gas and put a gallon in--my gas hand went up to a quarter tank and it still would not start. Then my boyfriend said that it was either flooded or I now needed a jump because by me trying to start it while it was out of gas-, I wore the battery out (the battery is only a month old-bought it brand new) . So he tried with 2 different people to jump it-nw when oyu turn the key it clicks twice and then nothing. In a last stitch effort, my boyfriend and our neighbor went to look at the car and still no result trying to jump. They tried to knock on the starter, and then when that had no result. Then, they took the cover of my sir filter off and gas began running out the side and it sounded like the fuel pump was pumping but the car was off. Gas went EVERYWHERE, so my neighbor unhooked the battery and we had it towed the next morning and today the mechanic told me the my engine was locked up. I need to know if my boyfriend is right in saying that I locked it up by being low on gas....THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!! PLEASE HELP!!!!
Did I break my Car????????
You might just need a fuel pump. It happened to me last week. My car would not turn over. It can't be your battery because it started. If it was your battery, it would not even start. Just get your fuel pump checked as well as your fuel filter.
Did I break my Car????????
Get car fixed replace BF%26gt;
locked up in what way...?? fuel lock up? maybe
you can't lock up an engine when it is out of gas
Car wouldent have locked up because it was low on gass and if it only clicks twice when you try to start it make sure the battery terminals are on tight because my car did that and it was because the terminals were banged up so make sure there tight. If your motor is locked up then there is no fixing it but if its just not starting then check the battery connections.
the engine most likely %26quot;vapor locked%26quot; which does happen on 80's cars, it has happened to me on my 81 olds omega, so it is likely that that happened due to running low on gas, when you do get it repaired, have your mechanic look at the fuel gauge and possibly the float in the tank, it sounds like that there is a problem with the resistor for the fuel gauge. Check the voltage in the battery, and if its around 12 volts, try to start the car, and if it just clicks and nothing happens, you will need a new starter. is it possible to get the engine that is in the car, whether it is a v6 or a 4-cyl, if it is the 4-cyl, i can give detailed instructions on how to remove the starter then reinstall the new one.
1st, you didnt ruin your car. the fuel system is pressurized, whenever you open it up, its gonna spurt gas like it did...



you need to check things. you need air, fuel, spark to make it run



you need to charge the battery. once its charged, you can try to turn it over, just give it one or two tries, if it does Nothing, youre gonna need to see if its getting fuel. im pretty sure your fuel injected, you can see if you get fuel to the fuel bar...on that thought, check all of your fuses



you can have a clogged fuel filter...a bad fuel pump. or, a broken timing chain. all of these items can be fixed.



the way it stopped suddenly, my shot in the dark is the timing chain broke. how many miles do you got? this happened to me in an 87 buick skylark, v6...



good luck to you....it shouldnt be horrible to fix.
Was your engine oil filled?? Does your mechanic mean %26quot; Ceased %26quot; You cant lock up a motor by just being low on fuel. It sounds like to me theres more to the story than you know.
I would say the starter is locked up rather than the engine. Ask the mechanic to validate his findings. How did he conclude that it is the engine and not the starter.If the engine is locked up, there would be no way to turn the engine by putting a socket and ratchet on the harmonic balancer bolt and turn it. If it can be turned, the engine is not locked up.
The lock up is caused by cranking on the starter for so long, the solenoid is stuck. Meaning the starter gear is still engaged in the flywheel. Try turning the engine backward by grasping the harmonic balance %26amp; turning to the left.

Then recharge the battery

Once the starter is freed then check for spark. Remove a plug wire %26amp; insert a screwdriver. Hold the screwdriver a 录%26quot; from a good ground. Try starting the engine. The spark should snap between the gap. if OK then check for fuel (you've indicated there is lots of fuel) If no spark, then remove the cap %26amp; investigate. May need a tune up.



禄禄禄
I have a 1990 GMC pickup truck that was doing the same thing. The starter would turn but the truck wouldn't start. At first we thought it was water in the fuel line but it turned out that the distributor had gone out of it. Not to be confused with the distributor cap, the distributor connects into gears and strikes the inside of the cap at the precise time to send the power to the spark plugs. I tested this by pulling out one of the spark plugs and reattaching it to the spark plug cable that was hooked to it. Next, you hold the plug up and see if it is sparking while someone tries to turn the car over. If it does not spark then the problem is either with the distributor cap or with the distributor Pull off the cap and clean the metal contacts, which can become corroded over time. Put the cap back on and try to start it. If that does not work then you may need to replace your distributor the electrical relay. Best of luck.
before you give yourself a heart attack over this running low on fuel does not lock up the engine running it without oil / water does lock up the engine......and i would humor myself if i were you by bringing the starter to autozone to be tested ....before you pronounce your vehicle dead....

if you want to learn about vehicles check out autozone.com for your online repair manual you can learn alot from the experience and tell the b/f he needs a refresher course in car repair instead of trying to scare you .....you have those babes to worry about .instead of the vehicle
Your car is hydrolocked too much fuel in the cylinders and it won't compress like fuel and air the mechanics will remove the spark plugs an blow the fuel out but they need to figure out what caused that much fuel to get into the cylinders and why the fuel pump continues to run without the vehicle being turned on
You're boyfriend doesn't know what he's talking about. You just need a mechanic. I know you don't want to spend the money, but sometimes, cars cost money.

No comments:

Post a Comment