Thursday, October 6, 2011

Changing head / Coolant question...?

Changing the head in a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. Has the infamous crack... My question:



If I pull the bottom hose off the radiator will it drain the block enough for me to get the head off? Should I pull the hose and run it for a minute or two with the heater on? Any advice is appreciated!
Changing head / Coolant question...?
I just did the head gasket last week on my 99 cherokee 4.0L I6. Taking the lower hose off and letting it run out was enough for me. If you have any questions on taking the head out let me know. Taking the bottom row of bolts off the exhaust/intake manifold is a PITA (i just pulled out the head and manifolds together). Also, the head bolt closest to the firewall is gona be a pain to take out (you have to cut around the firewall lip of lower the engine off the mounts an inch or two). Good luck, take your time and have fun with it.
Changing head / Coolant question...?
As long as the other end of hose(water pump) is lower than the head it will drain to that point.
yes just pull the bottom hose dont really need to run it though can if you want just dont run it for more than 30 seconds though
save some trouble and drain the radiator, disconnecting the water inlet hose will drain the radiator anyway, won't take much to get coolant level below head gasket
When someone asks a question like this and doesn't realize that the drain plug on the radiator is LOWER than the lower radiator hose, I wonder how they will pull and change a head, not an easy job even for an experienced mechanic.

Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment