Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I've got an '89 1.8, Subaru Gl. Is there any way I can test the radiator to see if it's good?

All is working well, but it over heats on hot days and going up hill. I've changed the thermostat and flushed the system. The hoses all look good. Any ideas?
I've got an '89 1.8, Subaru Gl. Is there any way I can test the radiator to see if it's good?
The cooling system on your particular model ('85-'93) was marginal at best when new, and easily plugs up over the miles and if the engine overheats the heads can crack easily too.

The first thing I would recommend is to undo the exhaust 'Y' pipe bolts, pull down the 'Y' pipe and examine the exhaust ports to see if any coolant or coolant tracking (yellowish-green lines) are visible in either port. If so, the head or heads are cracked.

If nothing looks out of the ordinary then I would consider myself very lucky and replace the radiator outright. They are not expensive and are not worth flushing or rebuilding.
  • dapple dachshunds for sale
  • into drilling for oil
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment