Thursday, October 6, 2011

Will my heater and A/C work if my water pump is bad?

The weep hole is not leaking. The pump does not squeal. I've changed the thermostat and bled the radiator of air, however the hose from the pump remains cold as well as the upper radiator hose. It does not overheat when idling but when I drive it, it overheats pretty quickly. No heat, no A/C, no heater core leaking or smelling.

I'm trying to single out the water pump and after that, a blown head gasket.
Will my heater and A/C work if my water pump is bad?
When you start with a cold engine, open the radiator cap full with coolant. Leave cap off and start car. You should see the water kind of dribbling past the opening until the thermostat is supposed to open, about ten minutes, then the water should rush past the opening fast from the pressure of the water pump. If it doesn't there is a problem with the water pump.

A/C should work because it's on a completely different system then the heater except the ductwork under the dash. Each system runs without the other.
Will my heater and A/C work if my water pump is bad?
Your heater will not work efficiently, or at all, if your water pump is bad. Your AC will be fine.



But I recommend changing your water pump ASAP. Your engine will overheat.
a simple check to see if your water pump is working is to take your radiator cap off, start your car (your car should be sitting for a while before you do this)...when the temp gage starts going up, you should see water flow in the radiator from the water pump..if you do not, your pump is shot . if you do, you need a new thermostat

No comments:

Post a Comment