Thursday, October 6, 2011

Tranmission fluid was changed now i have major problems.?

Ok, this is an update, my previous question is posted below.

---------

I've been spending a lot of time making taking care of my truck myself a new hobbie.

I've spent about a thousand dollars so far.

Myself ive changed out the water pump, hoses, radiator(it was cracked), fuel filter, air filter, brakes, brake drums, and so on....

Its very rewarding to take care of these things yourself and have the peice of mind that your vehicle is running fine.

But now....

I changed out the tranny fluid ad the tranny filter.....

There wasnt a factory gasket on there so I know it has been serviced at least once before before I got this vehicle.

But now...

After changing this fluid at 99,000 miles on my 2001 gmc jimmy 4wd....

I have lost all power in first gear.

When I put it in drive... it takes far to long to get up to speed into 2nd gear before i can take off no problem...

this sucks...

My service engine light is on now.

I called my mechanic and he told me I should have never changed the fluid.

Now, when I put it in first gear, i dont have much of a problem, just in drive.

I can put it in 1st gear and work my way up as if it were manual.

So my question is...

Where can I buy a very cheap gun to kill myself.

My mechanic told me this will cost in the thousands.

I dont have that kind of money.

I am so skrewed.

Thats what I get for taking care of business myself.

-----------

Thank you people for all your answers....

now the update....



I went to auto zone and ran a scan afte someone told me i may have just messed something electrical or such up inside the tranny pan...

i scanned it and i got...

%26quot;Shift Solenoid B Performance or stuck off.%26quot;

Thats what it read....

and the guy at autozone told me the shift solonoid was in the tranny pan.

This makes me happy.

I was so worried about having to have a mechanic drop the tranny and such....

so...

what do i do now.

I know what a solonoid is but I dont know where it is under the tranny pan.

and under the tranny pan was a lot of electrical wires and small parts i can handle but have never handled before.

what is my next step.

Thanks you guys and thanks yahoo answers.



let me just add one more thing i dont thing i made clear.



If i put my car in drive. Its a very slow and very unpowerfull get go.

But after it gets going i dont have a problem. Its the trransion from idle to actually moving up to speed.

BUT!!

when I put my car in 1st gear manually, it takes off as it should and i have no problems riding it as if it were manual switching through 1st and 3rd and such, okthxbye.

Yahoo answers is the greatest. It always helps me more than any other online resource.
Tranmission fluid was changed now i have major problems.?
Buy a service manual for your vehicle. They will outline the basics for most repairs. Next, the solonoid is the problem as it is not letting the necessary pressure through it to allow the transmission to transfer power.

Picture trying to brake without having any pressure in the brake system. Without the necessary pressure through the solonoid, the bands cannot clamp with proper force within the trans, causing slipping.

As to an Idle Air Control Valve(also know by other names) It would cause issues in all gears not just first.
Tranmission fluid was changed now i have major problems.?
For this problem, remove and clean your IDLE AIR CONTROL VALVE with Gum-out. If this little guy gets dirty or stubborn, it will affect power, MPG's and shifting. Someone in my neighborhood had a similar problem with her Buick (same trans, I think). It cost around $1400 at the GM dealerr to make repairs to the solenoids involved. I would contact a GM representative and pitch a b@#$%!!!! Read my previous piece of advice, as well!!!!
I don't know where any cheap guns are but this sounds pretty drastic to me. Instead I would make sure the vacuum line is still plugged into the vacuum modulator. Also make sure the rubber hose going from the steel line to the modulator is not cracked and leaking. You might also unplug that vacuum line temporarily and put a vacuum gage on it to make sure there is a reading so you will know that it is getting vacuum.
I've had the same thing happen when I bought my Suburban. I changed the fluid and filter and the tranny went downhill. Apparently the new fluid cleaned out build up from the internal parts and deposited them elsewhere. You can try to disolve the deposits with additives, but trannies rarely heal themselves so you're probably looking at a tranny rebuild ($800-1200 plus r%26amp;r fees if you don't pull it yourself) or go find a used one and do a swap. Those trannies are not cheap as most of them get used off road and get destroyed so they are snapped up quickly. I wish that I had better news.

No comments:

Post a Comment