Thursday, October 6, 2011

What would cause my car to not start right away?

Some days it sounds like the engine is trying to start when I turn the key...I know it's not the battery (new battery and it's been tested anyways). Sometimes when the car initially starts, it sounds like the engine is going to shake right out of the car :O( Other days it starts no problem...sometimes for a week at a time. So far it hasn't ever not started. Could it be the starter? A belt? Spark plugs? What else???



My second problem is that in the last few days the car squeals when I first start it. As long as I am giving it fuel it doesn't, but when I let off the gas or am idling it squeals...what could be causing that? I think it's the belt, but which one?



btw, it's an '06 Nissan Sentra 1.8S with 58,000 miles. In January I'm doing all the 60,000 mile maintenance stuff and I'd like to fix these problem too (change transmission fluid, air filter, coolant flush %26amp; change, microfilter, radiator cap, spark plugs, wiper blades, transmission fluid flush %26amp; change, %26amp; of course oil %26amp; filter change)



also, do I need to change the timing belt or drive belts? Could they be causing the squeaking problem? Do I need to replace the radiator hoses at 60,000 miles? What about differential oil?
What would cause my car to not start right away?
It sounds like a misfiring piston. Four cylinders shake and judder a lot when they are firing on only 3 pistons. This is most likely because of a bad spark plug or spark plug wire, but it could be your distributor, however that is unlikely. The belt squealing is most likely moisture on the belt when you first start the car. It could be the belt going bad, however that is unlikely, too. Though a new serpentine belt wouldn't hurt. Pressing on the gas causes it to go away because at the RPM's don't allow the rubbing of the belt to make the noise. I don't think you will have to change the timing belt, since it is a chain and sprocket assembly and that is changed very rarely. The radiator hoses shouldn't need to be changed unless they show cracking, bubbling/leaking, show softness, or it warps/disdends. Radiator cap? That shouldn't need changed either. Differential fluid can be changed though it should be unnecessary. If you do, check it for metal filings, this cold indicate problems or even that your using the wrong gear oil. Everything else should be alright to go ahead with.



Update my buddy just told me about a fuel injection problem which sprays too much fuel in the piston, gets the plugs wet and causes them to misfire. Solution, change the injectors.
What would cause my car to not start right away?
this isn't typical for a modern car with under 60K miles. The engine sounds like it is starved for fuel, which may indicate a clogged fuel filter, fuel line, bad injectors, etc.



The squealing indicates a loose belt.
The squeeling is your belt, singular, since it's a serpentine setup. Go pick up a Goodyear Gatorback from Autozone or Shucks or whatever you have nearby and that'll fix that problem.

Not many manufacturers use belts for timing anymore, are you sure it's not chain driven? If it's chain, it should be fine.

The radiator hoses are fine as long as they aren't cracked and dried out. Some people regularly replace their differential fluid, that's a personal opinion sort of thing as to do it or not do it. I usually end up replacing gears every couple of years anyways and I change it then.

As to the original question, do a thorough tuneup and call it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment