Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Will this hold untill I can repair it?

My car was leaking antifreeze and I changed the lower radiator hose because thats where it seemed to be coming from. After driving with the new hose the problem was still there. I came to find out that its the plastic lower radiator hose housing that has a hole in it. It seems to have only two small bolts that hold it on the block. I was thinking since I dont have the time right now to go find the part if I should remove it and try to just put gasket sealant inside to cover the hole or maybe some JB weld or something like that. Will it hold? is it safe and a good idea?
Will this hold untill I can repair it?
Plastic parts are very hard to patch/glue, save yourself the hassle and just buy a new part. You say you don't have time to find the part, do you have time to be broke down on the side of the road because you tried to do a cheap fix?
Will this hold untill I can repair it?
J.B. Weld may work if the area is clan and dry and you let it sit for 24 hours to dry before putting antifreeze back in.



The best bet would be just to find a new radiator at a junk yard.
to risky you could bust your motor , wait till you have the time to make a proper repair
a leak will only get worse.
Try a waterproof epoxy, quick dry

J-B weld takes 24 hours to cure
I am not sure where the problem is, sounds like a lower water neck type of thing, or part of the water pump.

Any way, I would be tempted to get a self drilling screw to run into it with a washer and sealer on it. I am not sure it would work due to the location and shape of the parts.

Just a patch of rubber with string wrapped around it might work too if bound tight.
If you wait longer. You risk overheating the engine then you will need those parts plus another engine and maybe a transmission. Fix it or leave the car at home %26amp; take the bus or get a ride.
  • textbox
  • funny pet name
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment