Thursday, October 6, 2011

Will this fix the problem, and is this a good price?

My 96 Saturn's head gasket keeps blowing. I have had it in the shop two times for the oil being in the radiator and in the water container. Everytime I get it back I drive for a couple of weeks and the samething happens. I recently consulted with another mechanic and he advised me that the engine%26lt;being that it is aluminium%26gt; is probably warped and that I should get a new engine and get my radiator flushed and my hoses etc., cleaned or changed. I want to know is getting a new engine going to solve the problem, and is $700 a good price for getting it done?
Will this fix the problem, and is this a good price?
Well it if is re-occurring you are very possibily dealing with a cracked engine block. Replacing the enginge will get rid of the problem. You will need to have the hoses and the thermostat replaced(they will be damaged by the oil). Make sure that you have your cooling system tested to make sure the fans come on and will not overheat the new engine, otherwise you will be doing this again later. Normally when I quote and engine replacement and all hoses the bill comed to around 2500-3000 dollars. If you have gotten a quote for 700.00 you are getting a deal. Is that 700.00 just for the engine?
Will this fix the problem, and is this a good price?
I'd hope so
The repair suggested is OK. But I have no idea of the cost of repair in your country. These are days of replacement technology and not repairing old ones. Repairing a warped face would require machining and a make up gasket is to be put for making the correct cushioning volume in the cylinder, which is technology for repairing an old one.

VR
$700 is an incredible price for getting a new engine....too incredible. Are you sure he said $700? Does that include labor? Is that JUST labor? Something doesn't sound right here, but if that's what he's promising for a complete job, parts and labor included, than go for it.
hell yea man that is a good deal ....hope that fixes the problem it is another eng ,,,,unless that one has gotten hot too......good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment